Still not over on how your previous Golden Retriever plunged over your newly installed private fence and ran away right before eyes?
Well, it sure hurts to remember how much time and energy you spent grooming your dog, but still all that hard labor went straight into the bin! And not to forget the beautiful fence that cost hundreds of dollars to install, only to be brought down like the wall of Berlin!
This whole scenario should never keep you from getting a new pup, and compromising your love for this adorable little companion.
Here’s a tip: Try getting a Labrador next time, or any other dogs that are easier to train. This way you will discipline your dog on how not to jump the boundaries of the house and run away!
Another thing to consider when getting a new dog, would be to install invisible electric fence for dogs. The word ‘electric’ might send shivers down your spine, but just hear me out.
An invisible or electric fence is used to allocate boundaries for dogs or any other pet, without setting up a private fence. You want your dog to freely roam around your backyard or even front yard but what you don’t want is that your dog run out to the road while playing a simple game of ‘Go fetch’!
This is where electric fences becomes a practical solution. The electric fence has wires buried underground. When your dog tries to come near or cross this underground wired boundary, the radial collar around the dog’s neck blare an alarm to ward off the dog. However, if the dog remains undeterred by the alarm and continues to approach your set boundaries, a minor electric stimulation is generated in the dog’s collar. This deters your dog from crossing the set boundaries.
Is An Electric Fence Safe for My Dog?
A electric fence is indeed a safe and reliable way to keep a check on your pup. The electric fence almost forms a part of dog training. Whenever your dog gets too close to the electric fence, it will receive a mild static correction.
The static correction is so weak, that your dog barely registers the shock. The static correction is there to divert your pets attention from a certain perimeter to its surroundings.
How Do I Train My Dog for an Electric Fence?
Contrary to our general assumptions, dogs are quite smart. Train your dog to remain within a few feet of this electric fence. With the passage of time, your dog will figure out how the electric fence you’ve installed works and that whenever he tries to come near a certain spot in your yard, it gets a shock from an invisible source! Your dog will eventually try to avoid these certain spots in the yard and remain within the confines of your boundaries.
Is it Expensive to Install?
Not at all! The name ‘best electric fence for dogs’, might suggest that it will cost you a fortune, but it is quite affordable. If compared to a private fence, the electric fence for dogs seems genuinely economical, saving you hundreds of dollars.
If you are getting the help of a professional to install an electric fence around your house, then you might have to shell out around $1000-$1500. However, if you are a master of all jacks and can plant this invisible fence on your own, then $500 is all that you need to spend on this effective way of keeping your dog in!
It is safe, reliable and cheap. Getting your dog accustomed to stay within your boundary could not get any easier than installing the best electric fence for dogs!
Best Dog Fence Options
- UP TO 30% MORE PLAY AREA - give your pets more yard to safely play outdoors; maximizes the amount of pet protection with seemingly endless boundary
- RECHARGEABLE, WATERPROOF RECEIVER COLLAR - quickly charges in 2-3 hours with each charge can last up to 3 weeks depending on use
- ADJUSTABLE RECEIVER COLLAR - with 5 levels of static correction and tone, fits pets 5 pounds or more with neck sizes 6 to 26 inches
- UP TO 1/3 OF AN ACRE COVERAGE - expandable up to 10 acres with the purchase of additional wires and flags (sold separately)
- COMPATIBLE WITH PAWZ AWAY - works with Pawz Away Mini, Threshold, Indoor and Outdoor Pet Barriers to help pets avoid special areas around your home
- FOR STUBBORN OR HARD TO TRAIN DOGS - 4 adjustable levels of static correction; highest intensity available
- TONE AND VIBRATION WARNING - ideal for training hearing-impaired dogs. Tone-only mode alerts your pet with a beep
- SAFE AND CUSTOMIZABLE - gives your pets room to play with up to 1/3 of an acre coverage, expandable up to 25 acres with the purchase of additional wires and flags (sold separately)
- WATERPROOF RECEIVER COLLAR - for all of your dog's outdoor activities. Transmitter with power adapter
- ADJUSTABLE COLLAR - fits pets 8 lb. or more with neck sizes 6 to 28 inches
- HIGH QUALITY: The eXtreme Dog Fence® is Heads and Shoulders Above the Standard DIY Electric Dog Fence Systems. We Don't Send You Cheap, Thin Boundary Wire Like All the Other Systems. Our Fence System Includes the Thickest Gauge of Wire that You Can Use with a Static Correction Dog Fence
- WATERPROOF AND SUBMERSIBLE: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be Submerged up to 100' Deep. Your Dog Can Swim with the Collar on and Won't Affect it's Normal Functionality
- 100% CUSTOMIZABLE: This Dog Fence's Coverage Area Can be Setup in Virtually Any Layout Design You Need. 1 Sided, 2 Sided, 3 Sided, 4 Sided, Rectangle, Triangle, Waterfront, Single Loop, Double Loop... If You Need Assistance in Designing Your Layout, We Have Support Specialists Standing by, Ready to Help
- GUARANTEED: This Underground Dog Fence Comes with a 10 Year Warranty on the Electronics and a Lifetime Warranty on the eXtreme Dog Fence Wire. This Fence WILL Contain Your Dog. We Guarantee it. This Fence has Been Manufactured for More than 25 Years and Carries a Stellar Reputation for Reliability and Performance
- MADE IN U.S.A.: These Electric Fences for Dogs Are Proudly Manufactured in the Good Old United States of America. We are Standing By to Provide You Top Level 24 Hour Assistance and Support in Setting Up Your Fence, Training Your Dogs and Puppies, or Troubleshooting Any Issue that Comes Up
- Great system for dogs 10lbs and up
- Choose from standard grade wire up to professional grade wire upgrades like 16 and even 14 gauge wire
- Built in Lightning protection
- Expandable with purchase of additional collars
- This easy-to-install containment system includes 1000 feet of 20-gauge boundary wire and 100 flags to contain up to 1 1/3 acres of land. This powerful system can be expanded to cover up to 100 acres with the purchase of additional SDF-WF Wire & Flag Kits
- The included, waterproof Collar Receiver sends a tone and vibration as your dog approaches the boundary, and moves to one of 4 static correction levels that you select, based on your dog’s temperament
- The wall-mountable Fence Transmitter features a built-in lightening protector to help avoid damage from lightning strike or power surge, as well as a wire break alarm to alert of a break or cut in the underground wire
- This hidden fence can be expanded to contain an unlimited number of dogs with the purchase of additional SDF-R Add-A-Dog Collars. The Collar Receivers fit any small, medium, large, or extra large sized dog over 10 pounds
- The Collar Receiver features a low battery indicator so you know when to change the battery and an Anti-Linger feature to prevent your dog from running the battery down by standing in the warning zone. It takes a standard 9-volt battery that lasts 6-12 months
- Largest coverage area of any wireless dog fence - up to 11 acres
- Waterproof collar fits dogs with neck sizes from 12 to 17 inches (must weigh at least 8 lbs.)
- In Home boundary breach alert for owner
- Easy installation, with no wires to bury
- Contain up to two dogs, with customizable correction levels for each dog
All prices are last updated on 2017-11-19 / Product images credit: Amazon.com