Looking for some of the best projector screens around? Before you dive into our list of them, we figured that we would give you a quick overview of the various features that you may find in a projector screen. It should make the buying process a little easier for you. We are not going to talk about the type of projector screen that much, you probably have an inkling about what you are after already. Instead, we want to highlight some of the smaller details that people never think about.
This is probably going to be the most important ‘stat’ on a screen that you choose. Gain is a measurement of how reflective the fabric is. A gain of 1.0 will mean that the image projected on it will come back the same brightness. Over 1.0 will mean that the image is brighter, and under 1.0 means that the image will not be as bright.
If you are using the projector in an area where you can’t control light properly (e.g. in your home or garden), then you may want to opt for a projector which has a higher amount of gain. It will counteract the fact that the light from the projector is going to be reduced somewhat by the ambient light.
The best projector screens will always list the viewing angle. This is the angle from the center of the screen where you can still an image that is of a high quality. The fabric determines the viewing angle. Obviously, the more expensive the projector, the better the viewing angle.
The color of the fabric will dictate what the projected image looks like:
- White screens are ‘industry standard’. They ensure that the projected image is nice and bright.
- Gray screens are fantastic for darker tones in whatever is being projected.
- Matte white: darker colors
If you are opting for a grey screen, then you will need to ensure that you have a powerful projector in place or the image will not look great at all.
This is something that you will only need to pay attention to if the speakers are located behind the screen.
Size and Aspect Ratio
Your final decision will be on the size and aspect ratio of the projector screen. The latter is probably going to be more important as the size will be determined by your location:
- HDTV 16:9 Format: these screens are if your projector puts out video at 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720.
- Widescreen PC 16:10 Format: These are ideal for projectors which have 1280 x 800, 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200 resolution. You can view other resolutions, but it will be in a letterbox format.
- Cinema 2.35:1: probably not going to be the best type of projector screen for home use as it is so large. It accurately recreates the cinema experience, though.
- Video 4:3: This is the standard television size. It works best with 1024 x 768, 1400 X 1050, 1600 X 1200, and 2048 x 1536.
- Square 1:1: this will be used for presentations and the like, not for viewing videos.
Armed with this knowledge, why not take a look at our list of the best projector screens now?
- PLM-OS100 - 100 inch 16:9 Ratio Screen for 4K Projection. Made in Korea. Wrinkle-free PVC Matte White screen (1.1 Gain) with Aluminum Poles and Fixtures
- PORTABLE - Extremely Light (13lbs) Convenient to Carry Around, Portable at 15lbs. Can be Dismantled stowed away in the car trunks, sedan included.
- STABILITY- Triangular Base Frame provides Stability which will not Topple even after Tolerable Impact, unlike Competitors.
- ASSEMBLY - Can be Set up within 15 Minutes without a Generator, Inflator, or Hassle
- WARRANTY - 1 Year Manufacturer's warranty (Customer Service Center in the US)
- PORTABLE PROJECTION SCREEN STAND with 100" diagonal (60" x 80"), heavy duty tripod frame perfect for home, business, and school use
- CRISP VIEWING ANGLES up to 120 degrees with a matte white surface diffusing light in all directions
- MAX WHITE 1.1 GAIN screen material with standard black backing to eliminate light penetration. Four side black borders enhance picture contrast
- AUTO LOCKING MECHANISM easily adjusts the height of the screen at the press of a button. Twist the handle to lock the height into place
- UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE with majority of LED, LCD or DLP projectors on the market
- 100-inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 49.0" H x 87.2" W. Overall Size: 59.8" H x 93.8" W. White Case
- Screen Material: MaxWhite B, 1.0 Gain. Textured matte white surface, multi-layer weave, 180 degree wide viewing angle, fully black backed front projection screen with 1" side black borders. Mildew resistant, durable, and easy to clean with soap and water.
- Features a 2-inch interval auto-lock mechanism that allow for various height settings and Slow Retracting Mechanism for a safe and secure return when no longer in use.
- Easily installs to wall or ceiling. Mounting Kit Included (Wood screws x2, Dry wall anchor x2)
- 2 Year Manufactures Warranty by Elite Screens; a ISO9001 manufacturer since 2004.
- 【What You Get】Excelvan portable 84inch 16:9 projector projection screen with 1 year warranty and friendly customer service.
- 【20 Pairs Velcros】Screen can be fastened easily with the Velcros packaged in the corner or side. Using at least 18 pairs to fasten firmly.
- 【Dimension】16:9 screen format and diagonal 84" offers 73" x 41" viewing area. Packaged in rolls professionally.
- 【Application】Ideal choice for home theater movie, education, conference room presentation, public display.
- 【Material】PVC. Matte white with 1.1 gain.
All prices are last updated on 2017-08-18 / Product images credit: Amazon.com